BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We bring together extraordinary people with the power to change the future TM.
Our Core Values
- Be Passionate. We have an inner fire to do great work and leave the world a better place.
- Be Agile. We keep pace with the now and next and adapting to change runs through our veins.
- Be Proud. We go the extra mile because we are proud of our business and a job well done.
- Be Humble. We believe putting our ego aside and working together builds community and forges strong relationships.
- Be Persistent. We never give up and thrive on challenges that would unnerve others.
Director, People & Culture – 12 Month Term
- Reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer
Accountabilities and Key Functions
The Director, People & Culture works with the Chief Financial Officer and the BluEarth executive team to ensure that Human Resource (HR) strategies, corporate culture, policies, capabilities and service delivery are aligned with BluEarth’s long term strategic direction.
This leader will be accountable to ensure the organization attracts, retains, develops, and rewards talent in a manner that continues to build BluEarth’s strong culture of high-performance, accountability and engagement.
Through the design, development and implementation of progressive HR policies and programs, this newly created position will be responsible for creating a solid foundation that will enable the fulfilment of BluEarth’s vision, objectives and culture. The Director, People & Culture is responsible for delivering HR strategy, policy and programs, and for providing functional leadership and guidance, to corporate and operations management teams.
Key functions include:
- Create, implement and deliver talent management, attraction strategies and retention strategies using solutions that align with and drive the business strategy;
- Develop and implement integrated HR programs that preserve and enhance BluEarth’s culture and brand in all areas of responsibility, and across multiple Canadian and US jurisdictions;
- Monitor external influences on management, policies, processes and practices to ensure the Company follows all applicable laws and regulations concerning employment practices, employee relations and employee health and safety;
- Educate and advise leaders and managers using analytic tools and reporting to provide input on decision making;
- Identify opportunities to provide HR and business solutions that maximize return on investment for the organization;
- Develop a competitive compensation philosophy and system to support the attraction and retention of top talent;
- Develop and implement a long term career development program for operations staff with support of Chief Operating Officer;
- Facilitate difficult interactions among organizational stakeholders to achieve optimal outcomes;
- Provide mentoring and coaching of Lead, Human Resources and HR & Payroll Administrator;
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of payroll by the HR team;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of BluEarth; and
- Other duties as required.
As the position continues to evolve and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions set out herein are likely.
Key Success Factors
- Assess current strengths, weaknesses and future requirements for the HR function with the ability to design, build and implement the necessary HR processes, procedures and functions to achieve BluEarth’s individual and strategic goals over the short and long term;
- Ensure human resource policies and practices are compliant with all relevant legislative and regulatory requirements;
- Partner with company leaders to develop talent management and attraction strategies including effective practices that will encourage recruitment, development, deployment and retention of high performing talent necessary to support operational and corporate strategy;
- Ensure human resource investments are planned, budgeted, and effectively executed;
- Prepare and present compensation and performance related materials to leadership including benchmarking studies and analysis; and
- Manage employee relations across the business and work closely and collaboratively with leaders to solve problems.
- An undergraduate degree is required with a graduate degree being desirable; and
- A CPHR designation is an asset.
The Director, People & Culture must be an influential and proactive leader with demonstrated experience in leading the successful design, implementation and administration of HR processes and systems. To maximize alignment between the strategic goals of the Company and its people, the Director must have acquired strong business acumen through past leadership roles, bringing with them the ability to apply a strategic business perspective to their execution of this role. The successful candidate must have:
- A minimum of 15 years of broad HR and business experience with demonstrated experience in building a human resource function from the ground up; and
- Relevant post-secondary education supplemented by related professional development and knowledge of HR best practices.
Specific knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position include the following:
- Critical thinking skills demonstrated business acumen and an open-minded and creative approach to continually evolving and improving approaches to challenges which arise in a dynamic and constantly changing environment;
- Extensive knowledge in all core areas of human resources including strategic planning, employee relations, organizational effectiveness, training and development, benefits, corporate governance, recruitment and compensation;
- Strong “hands-on” capability in working directly with a range of workers, and a track record of collaborative execution across geographically disparate workplaces;
- Solid communication, business acumen and critical thinking abilities;
- Proven leadership, employee relations, management, coaching and influencing skills;
- Experience developing and implementing human resource strategies and initiatives that are aligned to the business while working effectively with senior management and executives;
- Strong leadership qualities and ability to lead a small team of human resources professionals;
- Strong communication skills with the ability to contribute actively at the leadership level of the organization;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion, combined with the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear, strategic action;
- Ability to make difficult decisions and take ownership of decisions;
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage concurrent tasks with varying deadlines; and
- Proficient with Microsoft Office product such as Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Influential leader with the ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization;
- Passionate about contributing to a positive work environment and developing a company culture aligned to BluEarth’s values;
- Highly motivated, with the ability to work independently while also being able to contribute and collaborate in an energetic and dynamic team environment;
- Ability to work independently, stay motivated and take initiative in order to deliver results;
- Professional and respectful;
- Reliable, dependable and trustworthy;
- Sense of humour; and
- Enthusiasm for both the job and BluEarth’s initiatives and vision.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Ability to work outside regular business hours; and
- Ability to deliver on tight timelines.