BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits.
We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Calgary, AB; up to 10-50% travel to site and other BluEarth office locations as required.
- Reports directly to EVP, Construction & Engineering, or designate.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be accountable for cultivating, promoting and continuously improving a strong safety culture and Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) awareness among all BluEarth’s team members & contractors.
Key functions include:
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s HSE policies, practices, and programs – including the reflection of same in agreements and contracts;
- Act as BluEarth’s main representative and point of contact for all safety matters for team members, contractors, suppliers, etc.;
- Report on HSE matters to the executive team and the Board of Directors;
- Establish, improve, enforce and maintain all aspects of the company’s HSE program;
- Continually review BluEarth’s HSE practices, policies and procedures to ensure they are current, effective and in line with BluEarth’s core values and organizational goals;
- Ensure all safety documentation is accessible and up to date, as well as reviewed and signed off on by team members, contractors, subcontractors, visitors, etc. as required;
- Ensure BluEarth is compliant with all provincial (Canada) and state (USA) OH&S codes, regulations and other such legislation;
- Remain current on any new developments, amendments and other changes to legislation;
- Define annual HSE objectives and report on progress;
- Establish and maintain effective measurement and reporting tools to evaluate effectiveness of HSE program;
- Oversee all HSE communication, identify innovative and creative techniques to develop and improve communication efforts in order to raise awareness of BluEarth’s safety culture;
- Manage HSE budget;
- Mentor and develop knowledge of team members with regards to the HSE program using a collaborative and supportive approach;
- Establish a safety presence with regular site visits to operating sites, development & construction sites, offices, etc.;
- Establish protocols and maintain oversight of Prime contractors on construction or operating sites
- Ensure site and office HSE representatives are identified and properly trained on all safety procedures as required;
- Assist with management of safety incidents and accidents, as well as lead any required investigations;
- Work with Human Resources to manage any provincial worker’s compensation claims;
- Liaise with province’s regulatory bodies as required, including worker’s compensation boards, Ministry of Environment, Ministry or Labour, etc.;
- Conduct hazard and risk assessments and recommend improvements to senior management as required;
- Develop prevention and mitigation measures for risk reduction;
- Oversee and encourage reporting of near misses and “good catches”;
- Oversee the company HSE software and ensure proper utilization of the program among team members;
- Coordinate and track all safety training to ensure compliance and safety of all team members;
- Procure any required personal protective equipment and other required materials such as first aid kits, defibrillators, signage, etc.;
- Coordinate and lead all company JHSA meetings;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhancing the image and reputation of the Company.
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions and geographies set out herein are likely.
- Degree, diploma or certification in Occupational Health & Safety Management;
- Currently hold or in the process of obtaining a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) certification;
- Current First Aid or EMR certification.
- 10-15 years’ experience in managing multijurisdictional HSE programs, preferably in the power generation, distribution or transmission, energy, resource development or related business sectors;
- Minimum 5 years in a safety leadership role;
- Experience in both operations and construction would be an asset;
- Experience with obtaining COR certification as asset;
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in developing and leading a comprehensive and successful HSE program;
- Proven ability to cultivate and grow company safety culture.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Highly accountable, responsible and ethical, with a strong sense of confidentiality;
- Ability to gain trust and cooperation of team members;
- Ability to understand varying view points and manage conflict;
- Proven ability to remain calm under pressure and effectively prioritize work flow, office needs, and coordinate various activities simultaneously;
- Ability to proactively and effectively react to difficult situations and changing business conditions;
- Ability to take lead, work independently and/or be a team play, as required under various circumstances;
- Proven ability to manage sensitive information with diplomacy, confidentiality, and a sense of discretion;
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Displays professionalism and strong ethics, as well as being reliable and trustworthy;
- Professional and respectful;
- Highly motivated, communicative, directive, and flexible;
- Passionate about contributing to a positive work environment and development of company culture;
- Enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth’s initiatives and vision.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Ability to work at plant sites in remote environments and various weather conditions;
- Ability to work outside regular business hours as required.