BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
- Reports directly to Director, Engineering, or designate.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be accountable for the effective design, specification, configuration, commissioning and maintenance of various facility SCADA and control systems; the role will also be responsible for ensuring the security, safety, and maximum efficiency of operating renewable power assets.
Key functions include the oversight and execution, either directly or through the management and direction of third party service providers, of the following:
- Design, configuration, commissioning and maintenance of facility PLC and SCADA systems;
- Commissioning, testing and troubleshooting, remotely and on site, of controls systems using testing and troubleshoot equipment and software to diagnose and repair malfunctions;
- Set up and monitoring of alarm functions;
- Quick response to system emergencies, responding within agreed time limits to call-outs;
- Monitor data communications, VPN, firewalls, and password access across facilities, ensuring maintenance and upgrades of hardware and software are properly planned executed;
- Lead root cause analysis of failures in the SCADA systems including immediate correction and long-term preventive planning, working with operations staff to develop and execute operations protocols and maintenance plans;
- Ensure facility communications, hardware and software comply with NERC requirements where necessary;
- Oversee the routine and non-routine calibration and testing of remote sensors and communications equipment, including turbine condition monitoring (“TCM”);
- Work collaboratively with BluEarth’s construction and operations teams to uphold and demonstrate the Company’s values, positioning BluEarth to achieve its growth objectives and perform as an industry leader;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health & Safety policies, practices, and programs to ensure that projects are designed, developed, and operated in order to avoid occupational health & safety hazards and minimize environmental risks at BluEarth’s operations;
- Perform other tasks and duties, as required.
As the Company continues to grow, the accountabilities and tasks of this position may change accordingly.
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology, or Computer Engineering; consideration will be given to engineers of other disciplines who possess a combination of proven related experience and skills.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in a technical engineering role including at least 5 years holding accountability over SCADA systems and their performance;
- Experience with hands-on programming of PLC and SCADA systems;
- Knowledge of and experience with electrical control cabinet design for the power industry;
- Previous experience in renewable generation technologies including wind, hydro and solar is considered an asset.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly present information to various audiences;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to plan, schedule, track, and monitor ongoing and concurrent engineering tasks and activities;
- Proven ability to both formulate and execute strategies;
- Thrive in a rapidly changing environment, with the ability and desire to create, innovate, or modify processes to adapt to new business conditions or opportunities;
- Highly motivated, with the ability to contribute and collaborate in an energetic and dynamic team environment;
- Ability to exercise sound and critical judgement, show initiative, and be proactive both individually and in a team setting;
- Displays professionalism and strong ethics; is reliable and trustworthy;
- Practical, communicative, organized, directive, and flexible;
- Passionate about contributing to a positive work environment and development of company culture;
- A sense of humour;
- Enthusiasm for both the role and BluEarth’s initiatives and vision.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds;
- Ability to work outside regular business hours and be on-call to assist with emergency situations when required.